Weekly Schedule Artist: Veronica Ruiz de Velasco
We have an incredibly busy two weeks ahead. Here's what's on the schedule for our students this week:
- Monday, May 20 - String coaching during Concert & Symphony Orchestra class; Orchestra Council meets during lunch; Concert & Symphony combined strings rehearsal from 4:00 - 5:00 pm; Symphony Orchestra rehearsal with winds, percussion, and piano from 5:00 - 6:30 pm.
- Tuesday, May 21 - Jazz Ensemble at 12:45 pm (minimum day); Band Area Concert and 6:30 pm in the gymnasium.
- Wednesday, May 22 - Debut Strings combined rehearsal from 1:30 - 3:30 pm after school.
- Thursday, May 23 - Jazz Ensemble after school.
- Friday, May 24 - Jazz Ensemble performs at World Faire.
As always, the Google Calendar
is up to date with events. Please use this resource to stay current.
Spring Concert, "Danzon" | News & Notes
Tickets will be available this week for $7. As was the case last year, you will have the opportunity to select your own seats.
We will be offering senior students and families early access to tickets, beginning on Tuesday, May 21, and ending on Thursday, May 23. The early access code will be distributed in class on Monday.
Beginning on Friday, May 24, tickets will be available to all. Tickets may be secured at school via the box office, or online though our ticketing agent.
I look forward to seeing everyone next Thursday evening.
Reserve Your Seats
To reserve your seats for our May 30th concert, click the link below, or scan the QR code on the right with your cell phone, tablet, or other "smart" device.
Here's the schedule for May 13 - 18:
- Monday, May 13th - AP Music Theory exam during school; String coaches in during Concert and Symphony Orchestra; Orchestra Council meeting at lunch; Symphony Orchestra rehearsal from 4:30 - 6:30.
- Tuesday, May 14th - Jazz Band rehearsal after school.
- Thursday, May 16th - Jazz Band after school (short rehearsal - there is a combined band rehearsal at 4:00 that afternoon as well).
- Friday, May 17th - Band concert at 7:00 pm featuring the Wind Ensemble and Concert Band. Tickets are $10 and the concert will be held in the auditorium at Mira Mesa High School.
- Saturday, May 18th - Band concert (evening number two). Again, tickets are $10 and the concert is at Mira Mesa High School.
The end of May is tremendously busy. Please keep up to date with events and activities by using our Google Calendar
. You can synch the calendar with any number of devices or applications (smart phones, tablets, readers, etc).
On the horizon: combined string orchestra rehearsals, symphony rehearsals, an area concert, and spring concert, an orchestra outing, and more.
Lastly, please refer to last week's update
for a number of enrichment opportunities and youth orchestra invitations.
| Spring Orchestra Calendar.pdf|
|File Size: ||251 kb|
|File Type: || pdf|
News & Notes
A standard schedule for the week. With nothing out of the ordinary this week, here are a few things to consider:
The talented ladies of Quartet Nouveau
will be hosting a summer Quartet Lab for any interested students. A number of our students have taken advantage of this unique performance opportunity, and I would encourage others to give it a try as well. Click on the photo above to check it out or click here
And... Check out this sneak peek inside the album to appreciate the fine playing!
This Week | April 22 - 28
Here's your information for this week:
Odds & Ends
- Monday, April 22 - Yes, there will be regular Monday afternoon rehearsal for our Symphony Orchestra students. Block schedule for the day is 2-4-6. String coaches will be in at the regular time, despite the irregular schedule.
- Tuesday, April 23 - Jazz Band rehearsal after school. Block schedule 1-3-5.
- Wednesday, April 24 - Mr. Mulvaney off campus in the afternoon (meeting). Block schedule 2-4-6.
- Thursday, April 25 - Jazz Band rehearsal after school. Block 1-3-5.
- Friday, April 26 - Grades close. Quartet Lab with Quartet Nouveau in the evening, with a concert at 7:00 pm (concert is free - we have a number of students participating). Block 2-4-6.
- The San Diego Youth Symphony is accepting applications for the 2013 - 2014 calendar year. The application deadline is May 24th, and placement auditions begin on June 10th. A program description and audition information packet has been attached below.
- Other Youth Orchestras in Town: All About Music San Diego, San Diego Young Artists Symphony, New Youth Orchestra. Playing in an outside ensemble is a great way to further your own playing, and a great way to meet new people. Take a look at any of the options noted above.
- Reminder: Our Spring Concert will be held on May 30th here at Mira Mesa High School.
Lastly, thank you for your continued hard work. We started brand new music just this month, and have only until May to put it together. So, I want to
| San Diego Youth Symphony Brochure.pdf|
|File Size: ||646 kb|
|File Type: || pdf|
Welcome Back & Recap
I hope everyone enjoyed their well deserved Spring Break. As a group, we worked hard, right up to the last day prior to the spring recess, so I hope everyone enjoyed themselves during their week off. I did manage do do some work (marking parts, score study, typing up comments, etc) over break, but ultimately, I did more of
this......... than I did of........
To recap, both our groups received "Excellent"
ratings in Ramona, and I was/am very happy with our effort. I posted some thoughts right afterwards on our Facebook group
, so feel free to take a look. Also, I took time to type up all comments and scores from the adjudicators
, which I will distribute to students (and anyone else who would like to see them, just email me
). We will talk about some of the comments, which were absolutely right on, on Tuesday (we have coaches on Monday).
I've been to festival many times, and I can say that our adjudicators were spot on in their comments, and I am looking forward to getting back to work.This Week
We will start preparations for our May 30th Spring Concert
this week. Our groups will be playing new music, so be prepared to dig right back in and get to work. We want to apply the things we have been working on this semester so that we can have a great final concert for this year.
That (preparation) starts for many of our students on Monday afternoon, with rehearsal from 4:30 - 6:30. Yes, it's a half hour later (to accomodate our athletes more effectively), but we discussed this before break. See you there for the first step in the preparation process.Other Items Which Do Not Require Complete Sentences
- Friday, April 12th - Quartet Nouveau Workshop Lab at the Hammond Ashley Violin Shop (NOTE: I am thrilled to see so many students participating in this fantastic workshop. I attend regularly, but will be unavailable on Friday as I am judging a festival that afternoon/evening - so good luck everyone).
- Block Schedule - Mira Mesa High School will begin block scheduling soon to accomodate the testing schedule. Just know that our regular schedule will soon be altered.
- Spring Concert - May 30th here at Mira Mesa High School. Amazingly, with all of the construction this year, it will be the first time this year our orchestras have had a chance to perform on campus in the newly renovated auditorium (with acoustical shells, etc).
- Area Concert - There may be an area concert the week before our regular spring concert, depending on if we can get all the participating schools schedules to line up accordingly.
- Thank You - Thank you to all students who elected to participate in our most recent fundraising effort. With zero annual budget, anything you can do to help is always appreciated.
Bravo to the many students (171 in total, I believe) who helped put on this year's musical, Les Miserables
! You all did a tremendous job, and should very proud of your performance. I'm sure you've all heard, but the show was a tremendous hit! I have heard only glowing reviews about the actors (musicians), pit orchestra performance, and production quality.
Bravo on a job that was more than well done.Last Week Before Break
It's our last week before a well-deserved Spring Break. Here's what's in store for this shortened week:
- Monday - Council meet with Mr. Mulvaney during lunch; sectionals strongly encouraged for Symphony Orchestra musicians after school; no string coaching on Monday.
- Tuesday - Jazz Band after school; Challenger Top Ensembles Concert at 6pm if you would like to support some future Marauders!
- Wednesday - Taste of Mira Mesa (Jazz Band)
- Thursday - SCSBOA Festival at Ramona High School (map - more information follows below)
Festival on Thursday
Both our Concert
Orchestras will be traveling to Ramona High School on Thursday, March 28th. The festival is free and open to the public, so be sure to check the itinerary, which has been included below.
Parents, we could still use a volunteer or two for this week. Email Mr. Mulvaney if you would be willing to join us to help facilitate our day.
Even if you are unable to volunteer, please feel free to check the schedule and attend to support our students (this will be a new experience for many).Other Notes
- Taste of Mira Mesa Baskets - Thank you to the three families who generously donated baskets to be auctioned off at the Taste of Mira Mesa!
- Permission Slips & Course Forms - Turn in to Mr. Mulvaney ASAP (so I can turn them in to the office, please)
- Candle Fundraiser - Orders are due this week, as we will be submitting all orders during Spring Break
- String Coaching - A number of your coaches will be in on Wednesday to bow/finger our newest challenge :)
| SCSBOA Festival Timeline (2013).pdf|
|File Size: ||57 kb|
|File Type: || pdf|
Many thanks to San Diego Symphony violist Gareth Zehngut
(B.M. and M.M., Juilliard School ) for joining us today.
2012 - 2013 Symphony Orchestra
Les Mis details at miramesatheatre.org
A Busy March
The month of March is notoriously busy, and this March is no different. From honor performances to musicals, concerts, clinics, master classes, and festivals, the month of March is a never-ending to-do list.
Here's whats going on this week.Les Miserables
This year's musical, Les Miserables, opened on Friday (March 15th) to rave reviews. This show features all aspects of our VAPA program here at Mira Mesa High School, and I would encourage everyone to come out and see the show.
For more information on the show, which runs through next weekend, please visit miramesatheatre.org.NOTE:
There will be a "preview" performance excerpt of the musical featured on Fox 5 this week (Tuesday).
String Orchestra Clinic with Mr. Horimoto
Friend of the orchestra, Mr. Horimoto, will be at our string orchestra rehearsal on Monday afternoon (March 18th), from 4:30 - 6:00 pm. Please note the start time, which has been adjusted (although the end time remains the same) to accomodate our Marauder athletes.Pre-Festival Concert (Preparatory Concert)
On Tuesday night, March 19th, the Concert Orchestra
, String/Symphony Orchestra
, Concert Band, and Wind Ensemble will be performing in a Pre-Festival Concert. This performance is being put in in preparation for upcoming festival performances by the aforementioned ensembles.
General admission tickets for this performance will be available at the door for $5, and proceeds benefit our Mira Mesa Orchestras and Bands.(Another) Viola Performance Coaching OpportunitySan Diego Symphony violist
, Mr. Gareth Zehngut, will be visiting school on Thursday, March 21st. He will be on campus for periods two and three, assisting our violas.
Sunday, March 24th at 6:30pm
Musicians in the Making
On Sunday, March 24th, San Diego's J Company
will be sponsoring a concert, Musicians in the Making.
This concert provides emerging young artists the opportunity to perform in a concert setting. This year's edition features one of Mira Mesa's own, Ms. Jennifer Hsu (piano).
The concert will be held on Sunday, March 24th, at 6:30 pm, at the Lawrence Family Jewish Community Center, which is located at 4126 Executive Drive, La Jolla.
For more information on this unique concert, please click on the promotional flyer on the left. You may also visit www.sdcjc.org/jcompany
for more information.
Congratulations to Ms. Jennifer Hsu for being selected to perform in this concert!
Words of Praise
Last, but certainly not least, is some well deserved praise for our fantastic students here at Mira Mesa High School. At last weekend's Honor Band & Orchestra Concert Mira Mesa High School was well represented. There were 37 student-musicians selected from Mira Mesa, by far the most among any SDUSD school. The concert was fabulous, and inspired at least one San Diegan to write to the Union Tribune.
I will let Mr. Haney's words speak for themselves (from his letter to the editor):
On Saturday night, March 9, Symphony Hall hosted the annual San Diego Unified School District’s annual High School Instrumental Honor Concert. Chosen by audition and encumbered by numerous practice sessions, 143 students from 12 high schools performed under the direction of renowned guest conductors. The free concert was introduced by San Diego Symphony maestro Jahja Ling and included remarks by school board members Kevin Beiser, and Richard Barrera with a presentation by Deputy Superintendent Phil Stover.
The teenage students displayed astonishing musicianship. But this was much more than a free concert. All dressed in formal black and white and carrying their beloved instruments, they presented a picture of discipline, a devotion to their craft and an affection for their teachers that was truly amazing.
In an age of increasing violence, frequent gang wars and mounting drug problems, one’s faith in the future of the human race was not only rejuvenated but restored.
Have a great week. Work hard, and enjoy the process.
Schedule for March 4th - March 10th
One of the busiest weeks of the year, with events from Monday - Sunday. With that in mind, the schedule is below:
- Monday, March 4th - String coaching for periods two and three (work hard in these sessions!); Symphony Orchestra rehearsal from 4:00 - 6:00. This represents our first full group rehearsal after school since December. We have four Mondays before festival at Ramona.
- Tuesday, March 5th - Jazz Ensemble rehearsal after school; Honor Band & Orchestra rehearsal from 6:00 - 9:00.
- Wednesday, March 6th - Les Miserables pit rehearsal after school; Picture day for our orchestra classes; Concert attire may be stored in the orchestra room during the day (you can drop it off in the morning).
- Thursday, March 7th - No jazz band rehearsal (see the next event); Honor Orchestra rehearsal with winds and percussion from 3:30 - 5:00, and Honor Orchestra rehearsal with strings alone from 6:00 - 9:00. All rehearsals from this point on are with Mr. Jeung (the honor conductor).
- Friday, March 8th - 6-week grades close for the first marking period of the second semester; Honor Orchestra rehearsal with winds and percussion from 3:30 - 5:00, and Honor Orchestra rehearsal with strings alone from 6:00 - 9:00.
- Saturday, March 9th - Honor Orchestra rehearsal (as needed) from 10:30 - 12:30 at Mira Mesa High School. Honor Orchestra & Band Concert at Copley Symphony Hall at 7:00 (free admission)
- Sunday, March 10th - "Super Sunday" rehearsal for Les Miserables, starting at 12:30 and going until... the work is done.
Copley Symphony Hall
Picture Day Notes | This Wednesday!
Wednesday is picture day for our ensembles. I really want to have everyone represented in our ensemble pictures. We have experienced tremendous growth over the past year, and we should document it with a fine group picture.
Students can leave their concert clothes in the orchestra room in the morning. All students will be given time to change into concert attire to start the period on Wednesday.
We will take more pictures than needed, but we do need to submit a group photograph to the yearbook. Don't forget your concert attire on Wednesday!Baskets for Taste of Mira Mesa
Please help our orchestra by helping put together a basket to be auctioned off at the Taste of Mira Mesa. 100% of the proceeds from any donated basket will donated to our orchestra program. Ideas: a movie basket, food, a basket for personal pampering, anything! So, chat with local businesses and help our program.Help us coordinate baskets, which are due by March 15th.
If you bring in the items for the basket, we will even put it together for you. This is a great fundraising opportunity for us - let's take advantage.Honor Concert Notes
The SDUSD Honor Band & Orchestra concert is this Saturday at 7:00 PM. The concert is at Copley Symphony Hall, and admission is free. Mira Mesa is represented by 37 band and orchestra students, by far the most of any school in the district.
Come on out and support our incredible musicians as I know that they will be putting on a fabulous concert.Dates to Keep In Mind
In addition to the dates listed above for this week, here's what's ahead:
- Wednesday, March 13th - 8th grade open house at 6:00 PM
- Thursday and Friday, March 15th and 16th - Les Miserables opens to the public.
- Tuesday, March 19th - A Festival Concert presented by both orchestras, Wind Ensemble, and perhaps Concert Band starting at 6:30 PM (this is a time change - I will double check with Mrs. C for confirmation).
- Wednesday, March 27th - Taste of Mira Mesa
- Thursday, March 28th - Ramona Festival for both our Concert and String Orchestras. Yes, this is a field trip and we will be returning after the school day.
Tangible Assistance - Thank You
Again, thank you for making our DonorsChoose.org resource project a reality. As you can see, your altruistic efforts have tangible, real-world results.
As we seek to continue to provide quality educational experiences (like string coaching), opportunities, and resources, your continued support will be absolutely essential.
Your support does not go unnoticed or unappreciated.
The Week Ahead
Save the Date(s)
- Monday - String Coaching during Periods 2 & 3; Council meeting at lunch; Symphony Sectional for Cello & Bass
- Tuesday - Minimum Day 1-3-5; FitnessGram begins; Pit Orchestra rehearsal; Jazz Ensemble after school (subject to change); SDUSD Honor Orchestra Sectionals from 3:30 - 5:00 for Orchestra Winds & Percussion; SDUSD Honor Orchestra Rehearsal from 6:00 - 9:00
- Wednesday - Minimum Day 2-4-6; FitnessGram continues; Challenger MS recruitment at 11:00 AM (Mulvaney)
- Thursday - Jazz Ensemble rehearsal after school
- Friday - Mr. Mulvaney off-campus (running orchestra festival at Point Loma Nazarene University)
- Saturday - Academy of St. Martin in the Fields concert at Balboa Theater (tickets and information available here); Mr. Mulvaney running second day of orchestra festival at PLNU
- March 9th - SDUSD Honor Band & Orchestra concert at Copley Symphony Hall, 7:00 pm (free admission)
- March 19th - Festival Concert at Mira Mesa High School (Concert and String Orchestras), 6:00 pm
- March 28th - SCSBOA Band & Orchestra Festival at Ramona High School (field trip)
The Taste of Mira Mesa
is fast approaching. This is a HUGE fundraiser for the school and its programs. At any rate, those in charge of the Taste are offering a unique fundraising opportunity that will directly benefit our orchestra program. The message is copied below:
You can put together a basket for the Taste of Mira Mesa and whatever the proceeds are from that basket, you will make 100% of that money. Suggestion, get donations for your basket, cute filler stuff, buy items on sale and we will put the worth of the basket at full price to get the highest bid for your group.
Please let us know if you are going to do this and we must have your completed basket or all of the items by March 15th, Yes! we will put the basket together for you if need be.
Please email Mr. Mulvaney
if you can help donate/recruit/help coordinate a basket for this event. The Taste of Mira Mesa
is highly attended, and these baskets will go directly towards funding our orchestra program.
Basket submissions are due by March 15th.